[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - JBossCache vs JMS vs JGroups

bob_ninja do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Nov 10 10:18:36 EST 2006

I am not sure which to use and what the distinction is. I understand that JGroups sits below the 2, and is a lower level API. Fine. But how do you decide between a caching API (JBossCache) and a JMS API (JBoss MQ)?

My app consist of several modules (web app in a J2EE server plus several other specialized servers) that are clustered. It has certain transient state that may change at medium to high frequency, so database is not a good place for it. This state needs to be shared/accessed between modules as well as different machines in a cluster.

Now there are a lot of choices:
1) Java Space API
2) Java Caching API (JBossCache)
3) JMS API (JBoss MQ)
4) lower level JGroups API

The "safe" choice would be (3) messaging. However, JBossCache is specifically designed for sharing of beans between multiple VMs, so seems like a better choice.

I guess my problem is that cacheing and messaging APIs are so close/similar that I am having a hard time choosing between them. Help.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3984920#3984920

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3984920