[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: What's your prefered deployment strategy when developing

ellenzhao do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 22 12:37:31 EST 2006

I found the example on this page is very helpful:

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=EclipseSeamProject

The first time it took me almost one hour to set up everything correctly but you can really grok the Seam's packaging structure once you completely walk it through by heart. It serves very well as a template.  Now I've modified the booking example a great deal, adding jpdl pageflow and rules stuff, never had any packaging or "class/resource not found" problem following this example. Once you grokked the seam packaging structure and familiar with the several xml configuration files, you can apply it with any IDE.

Currently the JBossIDE for Eclipse or any other Eclipse based IDE don't like to publish the project to a configured app server. However the workaround is extremely simple. You can "run packaging" with the eclipse seam projects set like the example, then copy&paste the ear file to the JBoss deploy folder. Either with a line of console command (cp ....) or with a GUI file management tool drag and drop.

I've used all of Eclipse 3.2+, NetBeans 5.5 and IDEA 6. When it comes to deployment, I'm happiest with NetBeans' Ant-based approach. I used NetBeans to setup a new project and configured everything with its GUI tools. NetBeans generates the build.xml for me. You can happily work on projects with this build file (Assume the ant is installed on your system) without any big IDE and the deployment is a simple "ant deploy".  Since most of the developers around me are still using Eclipse so I'm using Eclipse just to be social. Actually I like NetBeans better merely because it is so easy to get the working build.xml from it. :-)

And yes, Seam is great stuff. I highly appreciate the idea behind and the Seam developer's hardwork. :-)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3987952#3987952

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3987952