[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - Re: Oracle 10g Fast Connection Failover

weston.price@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 22 13:45:58 EST 2006

I am not sure what you are saying.

As far as the TAF and other Oracle specfic features are concerned, the reason that they are not available in JBoss is because they do not *exist* in JBoss. They require an Oracle specfic datasource as well as Oracle to manage the underlying pool of JDBC connections. JBoss provides a DataSource implementation that wraps the underlying JDBC connection. This is not an Oracle DataSource. As a result, the Oracle specific features are simply not available.

anonymous wrote :
  | What I find strange is that whenever someone ask about this method, an
  | excommunication is launched!
  | Terrible things could happen using it! You go blind...

I am sorry you have had this experience. What we generally try to impart to people is warning that if you are using an API in an unintended manner or purposely try to thrwart an API then you should not be surprised when unforseen consequences occur.

anonymous wrote :
  | So if you wrote this method, why you did not give us a way to notify the WrappedConnection that I want to close or destroy the underlying connection?

Because frankly, this makes no sense. The point of using connection pooling is to increase scalability and reduce the cost of using expensive resources in a managed environment. The getUnderlyingConnection() method was added for those *rare* instances that a client would need to access features of the underlying JDBC driver not provided by the JDBC API.

Now, you could very well call close on the underlying connection, but that would fall squarely in the realm of *not recommended* abuses of an API. I am not sure why you would ever want to completely destroy the underlying connection anyway. Could you explain why you would want to do this?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3987971#3987971

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3987971