[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Some philosophy on the context name and access to Java B

toni do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Nov 23 06:09:27 EST 2006

Hi Gavin,

I'm currently looking into seam and there are a few things, which confuse me a bit.

For example, how do we initalize "context variables" appearing in .jsp pages, which do not contain any method or value binding expressions, leaving the referenced "context variables" in the .jsp file out of scope.

I read in the seam manual that there are several ways to tackle this problem. In 3.3 it says that one could use a @Create, @Factory or Page Action.

I don't see how the first two would solve my problem, because they only come into the picture, when a seam component gets created, which requires a reference to it from the .jsp page, which does not exist in the first place.

Defining a Page Action is indeed a solution, but I find it cumbersome to create a page action for every .jsp page, which solely displays information and any CRUD applicaton does so plenty.

Because of that I get the feeling that one should avoid context variables inside of .jsp files and rather use them inside Seam Components. What would be the right stratey?

I'm basically looking for a pattern, which helps me to display base data information on .jsp pages, which get directly accessed by bookmarked GET requests, without any GET Parameters.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3988120#3988120

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3988120