[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - Re: Oracle 10g Fast Connection Failover

bocio do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Nov 23 12:21:46 EST 2006

"weston.price at jboss.com" wrote :
  | I am sorry you have had this experience. What we generally try to impart to people is warning that if you are using an API in an unintended manner or purposely try to thrwart an API then you should not be surprised when unforseen consequences occur.

As I said before, I completely agree with you, but in my experience,  Sometime we are forced to integrate our AS with an existing legacy system and I have to stick with vendor specific data. If I have to call dozen of functions full of Oracle datatypes, should I kill the customer db architect with a JDBC book? :-)

Furthermore, being Oracle a db market leader, sometimes tramples on standards...

"weston.price at jboss.com" wrote :
  | Now, you could very well call close on the underlying connection, but that would fall squarely in the realm of *not recommended* abuses of an API. I am not sure why you would ever want to completely destroy the underlying connection anyway. Could you explain why you would want to do this?

I could need to work with a specific vendor type. I could do this with the underlying connection but... if something goes wrong I need a way to notify the ManagedConnection of the error.
Would be very useful for solving particular problems in some cases and still write robust code.

I've been working for years with Sybase and their datasource is nearly 100% jdbc compliant: you can also retrieve multiple resultset from store procs through jdbc.

Bye

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3988234#3988234

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3988234