[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - How to lazily load collections?

michael.litherland do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 16 13:29:39 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have an EJB3 entity that contains a collection of other entities.  The collection is both very rarely used and extremely large so I'd really rather not eagerly load it (in fact I can't, it makes the site slow to a crawl).  The problem is that I don't know how to get around the LazyInitializationException when you specify the collection as lazy.

I tried creating a method in my EBJ3 BL layer that did a entityManager.refresh(entity) and then called the entity.getCollection method, but that doesn't help.

I've googled all over and searched here, but I can't figure out how to successfully load a lazy collection in EJB3.  Removing the relationship from the entities would work, but that seems like it should be unnecessary.  This is the error I want to avoid:

  | Caused by: org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: com.ati.raa.entities.TdmSites.tdmAlerts, no session or session was closed

And the snippit:

  | @OneToMany(mappedBy = "tdmSite", fetch = FetchType.LAZY, cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
  |     private List<TdmAlerts> tdmAlerts;

This has got to be simple and I'm just missing something.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Mike

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3978604#3978604

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3978604