[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Batching messages in jboss-messaging

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 18 05:07:36 EDT 2006

I shall clarify my previous post.

Currently JBoss Messaging (and JBoss MQ) send messages from the server to the client using an RPC mechanism.

This means they send a bunch of messages then wait for a response (i.e. request/response).

This means that if the network has high bandwidth, but also has high latency (think high round trip time) then for each send is going to take a minimum of 2 x latency, *irrespective* of the bandwidth.

In other words it doesn't take advantage of the bandwidth.

We have already seen other customers suffering from this problem.

A better approach (and one we will have implemented in 1.2) is to push messages asynchrously across the network (i.e. not wait for a response).

Then the throughput is not dependent on the latency.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3979006#3979006

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3979006