[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam and the old school of thinking

texan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Oct 24 09:50:19 EDT 2006

I still feel evil when I pass persistent objects out to the UI, but I've been using Java from "the beginning", and I have yet to really benefit from Value Objects.  On the other hand, I have spent lots of time maintaining them, and it's really refreshing to have such a lean application with Seam, JSF, and EJB3.

The layers were supposed to isolate us from change so we could avoid collatoral damage, but instead they created a huge maintenance burden that spawned the need for code generation just to keep up.  With these new technologies, the code generation is still there, but it's hidden from me by the frameworks and handled automagically.  And frankly, when I changed a business component, I wanted to propagate that change out to the UI.  The UI is the application - everything else is just the servent of the UI.

I have to say I still get uncomfortable when I add a transient "selected" attribute to a business object to assist with the UI, but you know what?  The UI logic is the business logic, so I put the attribute in the entity and move on.

I'm so glad we have a new generation of thinkers involved in EJB, etc., to remind us that many of the former J2EE patterns were just workarounds to an awkward technology and a lack of good IDEs.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3980367#3980367

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3980367