[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Re: Exception handling

jc7442 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 15 14:11:53 EDT 2006

First, I'm not an expert that's just my way to manage exception !

I do not manage my exception in the same way as yours.

First, if you want log exception and throw another exception, you may perhaps consider to use JBoss AOP interceptor in order not to make your source code more complex.

Now my way to manage exception is the following (it's my solution, maybe that's not good):
Usually I do not catch exception for my DAO (it means that if a runtime exception is thrown it may rollback the JTA transaction) and I have added an interceptor on all methods of remote session bean and MDB. This interceptor is in charge to log the exception and to modifiy throw a new exception (this exception as a ref on the logged exception. I often have swing client, I log exception on server side to be sure to have a log - if i just leave the exception go to client side, usualy client does not have in its classpath one of the chained exception).
In some cases, when the exception thrown is a error case (not a bug in my code), in the session bean, I cacth the excpetion, log it and usualy throw an exception with an ApplicationException annotation with a rollback=false. Consequently the exception does not rollback the JTA transaction. This exception is not a Runtime consequently, invoker has to manage the exception.

To summarize:
- consider using JBoss AOP inteceptor
- Consider using ApplicationException annotation
You probably will have more flexibility for your exception management and a easier code to write.

I'm interesting to know what's your feeling about that !

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3972007#3972007

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3972007