[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: clarification about propagation=

codelion do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Apr 2 05:36:23 EDT 2007

I admit, you have to know what conversation to end.  I looked closer at what I'm doing, and the problem/question seems to be:

Should propagation="end" end the conversation when entering the target page or when leaving (!) the target (!) page?

I argue it should when entering, but it apparently does when leaving.

In my test case I am coming via

<s:link view="/myOther.xhtml" value="Outta Here" propagation="end" />

into page myOther.xhtml that coincidentally also has in its myOther.page.xml

<page>
  |  <begin-conversation join="true" />
  | </page>

My thought was like this:  The propagation="end" means to end the conversation it was coming from (in my.xhtml).

End it.  Now.  First thing when dealing with conversations in the JSF Request-Response Life Cycle.  Where in Seam Reference 6.1 it says "At the end of the restore view phase of the JSF request lifecycle, Seam attempts to restore any previous long-running conversation context. If none exists, Seam creates a new temporary conversation context."

I'd expect the propagation="end" at that point to make that conversation go away, and hence fulfill the "none exists" test.

If I have a propagation="none" it is gone indeed.

But if I have propagation="end" then the conversation still is there, and begin-conversation picks it up.

Me thinks this just happened as implementation detail, implementing propagation="end" like or similar to @End or like end-conversation, while it should be implemented to be effective at the same time as propagation="none" would be.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4033628#4033628

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4033628