[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - Re: Are exception-sorter expected to work for xa-datasource?

nathanmeyers do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Apr 3 11:19:53 EDT 2007

"weston.price at jboss.com" wrote : anonymous wrote :
  |   | The situation leading to this error was restart of the db server, so I have a pool full of dead connections.
  |   |

  | Your *-ds.xml file does not include a valid connection checker element which means that potentially invalid connections can remain in the pool for use. Take a look at
  |
  | http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossJCAPooling
  |
  | On how to configure this.

I'm familiar with <check-valid-connection-sql>. The point of this exception-sorter exercise is to get away from the high expense of that approach. Ideally, we want to accept the cost of a single failure - followed by immediate invalidation of the pool - rather than the overhead of very frequent connection checks.

The distinction between XA errors and connection errors is an artifact of how the XA transactions are managed. The bottom line is that a pool full of connections has been rendered bad by a db restart - it's a connection issue any way you cut it, and I'd like to flush the pool the instant that problem is detected.

For reasons you've now explained, I know I can't currently do that in certain parts of the XA lifecycle. And for mysterious reasons (the second scenario), I can't even do that when I should be able to.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4034138#4034138

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4034138