[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Pros/Cons of war vs. ear deployments (Jboss 4.2)

christian.bauer@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Apr 17 01:53:39 EDT 2007

I think all of this won't happen before JBoss5.

I checked out CVS of the Embedded JBoss5 last week and it's working nicely with hot-redeploy of virtual archives. Means I don't even have a WAR anymore, just a bunch of classes with annotations and a few config files, all in one directory. And then I programmatically feed that into a virtual EAR/JAR, which I deploy on JBoss5.

IMO this is the approach we should take. WAR and EAR are _deployment_ solutions, I'm not deploying anything when I'm developing software. I just want to see my stuff running in one way or another and I have no idea why everyone (including the IDE vendors) thinks that WARs and EARs are a good idea for that. They are not, in fact, they are so badly designed that everyone writes 5 pages of build.xml just to get the dozens of files into the right locations. Why can't I develop how I like and only use the EAR/WAR stuff when I want to actually _deploy_ my application and run it?

So this whole issue should be solved in the second half of this year... I can see other projects (Tapestry for example) also pushing in new directions and only good can come from it.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4037828#4037828

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4037828