[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam Conversation Should Be Flexible but NOT

petemuir do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Apr 17 16:29:44 EDT 2007

"app4you at yahoo.com" wrote : Did you read my post carefully yet :)

Yes, I have read it several times - I want to understand what you want/what your issues so we can try to make your apps work better with Seam.  You are using a common paradigm for a user interface - one that you say Seam doesn't work well with.

anonymous wrote : Common I did not say that I need all components in SESSION.

No, you never explicitly stated what scope  the components should be in.  I inferred from this

anonymous wrote : the application data entry form has to be in the edit mode all the time unless the user want to close the form by clicking on the DONE, CLOSE or whatever... button to get back to the search result page

that you were looking for session scoping from your post.

What scope should your components have?  Not in terms of Seam's SCOPEs necessarily, but in terms of user experience.

anonymous wrote : anonymous wrote : neither a very long running conversation timeout or even set it to the same time-out as the HTTP session time out. Standard is 30 minutes, or at least most of my apps.
  |   |
  |   |
  |   | Sorry, I can't parse this.
  |
  | Can't see?

No, I meant I didn't understand the sentence.

anonymous wrote : Can you look at the conversation stack for a bunch of runaway conversations waiting to be closed?

Yeah. Look at the conversationTimeout method in org.jboss.seam.core.Manager for how Seam times out conversation.  You could create an extended version of Manager and implement a custom conversationtTimeout that used an algorithm more suited to your app.  The API for this stuff is all public :)

anonymous wrote : A more elegant timeout that coordinates with http session timeout.

Spell out what this means - I haven't understood yet ;)   What do "elegant" and "coordinate" mean?

anonymous wrote : I don't want to use conversational session scope, only conversational scope here

Ok, so just to clarify: You don't want to use SESSION scope.  You want to use CONVERSATION scope.

anonymous wrote : or no conversation at all by setting the conversation on/off.

What does setting the conversation "off" mean?  Normally if you want a scope shorter than CONVERSATION you would use PAGE or EVENT

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4038143#4038143

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4038143