[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: RMI per call overhead?

caultonpos do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 1 17:05:58 EDT 2007

Yes, direct IP.  I found that caching everything to do with the bean lookup helped - got it down to 250ms so that was an improvement.

I have all the reference data cached with infrequent checks.  Activity data I just check if it has changed. I was able to get the application reasonable over the internet.  If I could batch a number of calls together that would certainly help in some cases though there are not that many opportunities.

Managing caches to prevent stale data is tough but I think I can do it.

It still doesnt make sense to me that there is that much overhead on a single RMI call over the internet.  Does one Boolean call with no parameters pass a lot of additional content?  But regardless if I can ftp at 100's of KB per second...

There must be something still to be tuned there, doesn't quite add up.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4069813#4069813

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4069813