[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - "Renewable" cache

adamw do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 6 05:36:07 EDT 2007

Hello,

in JBoss Labs, we are using a cache-like component, which holds some data based on what is present in a persistent store (SVN in our case). The key thing is that the data is:
1. always in the cache
2. renewed when the persistent store changes (so, when a change occurs, a new object based on the persistent data is created in the background and only when ready, replaces the old one).

This way, users always have the data fast (as it always read from the cache), maybe with the exception of first access to a key.

I was wondering if this is possible to achieve using CacheLoaders/EvictionPolicies, but I have doubts if it is possible? One problem is that in this case nodes should become evicted because of persistent store changes, not because operation on nodes have been done recently/frequently/etc. So it may be possible that the eviction mechanism isn't the proper one to use here.

The other problem is "renewing" a key in the cache: logically, it should be done using a cache loader. However here, it turns out this would be done when evicting a node (or the eviction policy can call the cache loader using CacheSPI ....)

Anyway, if you have any opinions on if it is possible to integrate the "my" cache with jboss cache, or any suggestions, please write :)

--
Adam

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4071093#4071093

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4071093