[jboss-user] [JNDI/Naming/Network] - javax.naming.NoInitialContextException trying to connect to

atuljboss do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 6 20:43:09 EDT 2007

I have a simple setup where I am trying to connect to a remote JMS queue using a MDB. Jboss and JDK versions are  Jboss 4.0.4GA and JDK 1.4.2_11 respectively. I have configured the MDB Jboss instance as well as the queue host where the JMSProvider is configured (the default JbossMQ provider) as per the JBoss documentation

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=HowDoIConfigureAnMDBToTalkToARemoteQueue

But when I try to start the JBoss where the MDB is deployed I get this as JBoss is starting up. This exception comes during the deployment of the MDB. The MDB does get deployed properly but the server keeps retrying to connect to the remote JMS provider (default every 10 seconds) and this exception is repeated.

javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Cannot instantiate class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory        [Root exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org/jnp/interfaces/NamingContextFactory       ]
        at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:652)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:243)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(InitialContext.java:219)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.(InitialContext.java:195)
        at org.jboss.jms.jndi.JNDIProviderAdapter.getInitialContext(JNDIProviderAdapter.java:44)
        at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.jms.DLQHandler.createService(DLQHandler.java:177)
        at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalCreate(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:260)
        at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.create(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:188)
        at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.jms.JMSContainerInvoker.innerStartDelivery(JMSContainerInvoker.java:510)
        at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.jms.JMSContainerInvoker.startService(JMSContainerInvoker.java:839)
        at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalStart(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:289)
        at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalLifecycle(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:245)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor3.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)

I would greatly appreciate if anybody has faced this issue and resolved it. If you can guide me as to where I may has a misconfiguration that would be great as well.

The JMS provider is configured in the jms-ds.xml as follows -

  <!-- Configuration for a Remote JMS Provider to access to queue object on
       a remote machine through it's JNDI
  -->

    ABC-JMSProvider
    org.jboss.jms.jndi.JNDIProviderAdapter
    <!-- The queue connection factory -->
    XAConnectionFactory
    <!-- The topic factory -->
    XAConnectionFactory

       java.naming.factory.initial=org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory
       java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jnp.interfaces
       java.naming.provider.url=ABCServer:1099

The MDB configuration is as follows (jboss.xml) -

   <invoker-proxy-bindings>
      <invoker-proxy-binding>
         Abc-mdb-invoker
         <invoker-mbean>does-not-matter</invoker-mbean>
         <proxy-factory>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.jms.JMSContainerInvoker</proxy-factory>
         <proxy-factory-config>
            ABC-JMSProvider
            StdJMSPool
            1
            15
            30000
            1

               10

                  queue/DLQ
                  10
                  0

         </proxy-factory-config>
      </invoker-proxy-binding>
   </invoker-proxy-bindings>
   <enterprise-beans>
     <message-driven>
       <ejb-name>TestMdb</ejb-name>
         <destination-jndi-name>queue/TestQueue</destination-jndi-name>
         <invoker-bindings>

               <invoker-proxy-binding-name>Abc-mdb-invoker</invoker-proxy-binding-name>

         </invoker-bindings>
     </message-driven>
   </enterprise-beans>

Thanks in Advance.