[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Newbie Help. Do I have SEAM deployed?

birwin do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 8 19:24:11 EDT 2007

I started fiddling with SEAM (2.0.0BETA1) today, but I don't think I have installed it correctly (Installing on JBoss 4.2.1.GA).

I am unable to display data in my UI (Its a JSP). Each time I load the web page, the input field is empty, but my backing bean has data. The backing bean has a value assigned to its property on instantiation (See the java code below). If I add a "managed-bean" entry to my faces-config.xml, it works fine and the number appears in my input field. I thought I did not need "managed-bean" entries in my faces-config.xml file if I was using SEAM. From my searches on the Internet, it appears that I am not using SEAM, but the plain JSF. I have deployed the Seam JAR file in the WEB_INF/lib directory of my war file. Attached are my faces-config, web.xml, JSP and Java class files.

My java class has the Name and Scope annotations, and I have included the phase-listener entry in my faces-config.xml file in addition to including the listener-class entry in my web.xml file. When I deploy to my JBoss server, it appears SEAM kicks in. I see row after row of "INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.web.session, scope: SESSION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.web.Session" type messages.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

faces-config.xml file:
<faces-config>

		<phase-listener>org.jboss.seam.jsf.SeamPhaseListener</phase-listener>

</faces-config>

web.xml file:
<web-app>
	<!-- Listeners -->

		<!-- Seam -->
		<listener-class>org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamListener</listener-class>

		<!-- JSF -->
		<listener-class>com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener</listener-class>

	<!-- Faces Servlet -->

		<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>

	<servlet-mapping>
		<url-pattern>/faces/*</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

		<taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsf/core</taglib-uri>
		<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/jsf_core.tld</taglib-location>

		<taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsf/html</taglib-uri>
		<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/html_basic.tld</taglib-location>

		<taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core </taglib-uri>
		<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/c.tld</taglib-location>

</web-app>

JSP:
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html" prefix="h" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core" prefix="f" %>

	<f:view>
		<h:form>
                <h:inputText value="#{test.text}" />
		</h:form>
	</f:view>

Test Java Class:
import org.jboss.seam.ScopeType;

import org.jboss.seam.annotations.Name;
import org.jboss.seam.annotations.Scope;

@Scope(ScopeType.CONVERSATION)
@Name("test")
public class Test
{