[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - OutOfMemoryError on Windows

scauwe do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 9 09:36:57 EDT 2007

Hi all,

jboss: 4.0.5.GA
Windows 2000
Java: 1.4.2_06

I have a java application running inside jboss. It needs to process a big XML file (it contains +10000 'records'; 1 record = about 30 nodes).
I keep on getting an OutOfMemoryError while looping over the records.
If i print out the total memory and free memory, I can see that the free memory is going down, but is still more then enough.
I start the appserver with 1 gig (-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m) on a 2 gig machine.

I output the memory every 250 records:

  | Record #:0
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:954701144
  | Record #:250
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:951648552
  | Record #:500
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:949005224
  | Record #:750
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:944648768
  | Record #:1000
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:944296160
  | Record #:1250
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:941645368
  | Record #:1500
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:938858208
  | Record #:1750
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:936897856
  | Record #:2000
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:934571512
  | Record #:2250
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:931946416
  | Record #:2500
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:929656872
  | Record #:2750
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:926362056
  | Record #:3000
  | Total:1061814272
  | Free:922550760
  | java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

So, it seems that it is not a memory issue.  What else can cause an OutOfMemory on Windows? I know about the native thread issue on Linux, but I never heard of that on Windows.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4072505#4072505

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4072505