[jboss-user] [EJB/JBoss] - 3 questions on transactions - misunderstanding or bug

X490812 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 13 13:30:29 EDT 2007

I will give the pertinent code for 3 use cases and describe the outcomes. The outcomes dont make sense for my understanding of EJB3.0.
the function batchRemoveEndedProcesses does a simple delete from an oracle db. All this is in a SLSB

  | @TransactionAttribute(javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)
  | public void cleanupEndedProcesses(String processId)
  | .
  | .
  | while (pidVec.size() > 1075)
  | {
  | 	endNdx = pidVec.size() > BATCHSIZE? BATCHSIZE:pidVec.size();
  | 	tmpList = new ArrayList<String>(pidVec.subList(0, endNdx));
  | 	batchRemoveEndedProcesses(tmpList, jbpmDAO);
  | 	cnt += endNdx;
  | 	pidVec.removeAll(tmpList);
  | }
  | .
  | .
  | @TransactionAttribute(javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW)
  | private void batchRemoveEndedProcesses(List<String> pidVec, JbpmDAO jbpmDAO)
  | {
  | 	try {
  | 		jbpmDAO.removeEndedProcesses(pidVec);
  | 	}
  | 	catch (Exception e) {
  | 		throw new WorkflowException(e);
  | 	}
  | }

first call to removeEndedProcesses succeeds, second call succeeds
start: 1080 rows to be deleted
end1 removeEndedProcesses : 1080 rows to be deleted
end2 removeEndedProcesses : 1080 rows to be deleted
end: 1070 - 10 rows deleted
ISSUE:  WHY DOES THE REQUIRES_NEW FUNCTION NOT COMMIT
i UNDERSTOOD THAT WHEN YOU HAVE REUQIRES_NEW, THE FUNCTION WILL COMMIT ITS TRANSACTION

  | @TransactionAttribute(javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.NEVER)
  | public void cleanupEndedProcesses(String processId)
  | .
  | .
  | while (pidVec.size() > 1075)
  | {
  | 	endNdx = pidVec.size() > BATCHSIZE? BATCHSIZE:pidVec.size();
  | 	tmpList = new ArrayList<String>(pidVec.subList(0, endNdx));
  | 	batchRemoveEndedProcesses(tmpList, jbpmDAO);
  | 	cnt += endNdx;
  | 	pidVec.removeAll(tmpList);
  | }
  | .
  | .
  | @TransactionAttribute(javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW)
  | private void batchRemoveEndedProcesses(List<String> pidVec, JbpmDAO jbpmDAO)
  | {
  | 	try {
  | 		jbpmDAO.removeEndedProcesses(pidVec);
  | 		context.setRollbackOnly();
  | 	}
  | 	catch (Exception e) {
  | 		throw new WorkflowException(e);
  | 	}
  | }

first call to removeEndedProcesses succeeds. Whenrollback called and throws exception
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: setRollbackOnly() not allowed without a transaction.
start: 1080
end1 removeEndedProcesses : 1080
end: 1080
ISSUE: Why does CODE act as if REQUIRES_NEW is not there?

  | @TransactionAttribute(javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)
  | public void cleanupEndedProcesses(String processId)
  | .
  | .
  | while (pidVec.size() > 1075)
  | {
  | 	endNdx = pidVec.size() > BATCHSIZE? BATCHSIZE:pidVec.size();
  | 	tmpList = new ArrayList<String>(pidVec.subList(0, endNdx));
  | 	batchRemoveEndedProcesses(tmpList, jbpmDAO);
  | 	cnt += endNdx;
  | 	pidVec.removeAll(tmpList);
  | }
  | .
  | .
  | @TransactionAttribute(javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW)
  | private void batchRemoveEndedProcesses(List<String> pidVec, JbpmDAO jbpmDAO)
  | {
  | 	try {
  | 		jbpmDAO.removeEndedProcesses(pidVec);
  | 		context.setRollbackOnly();
  | 	}
  | 	catch (Exception e) {
  | 		throw new WorkflowException(e);
  | 	}
  | }

first call removeEndedProcesses succeeds (no commit) and then does rollback with no exception. Second call removeEndedProcesses throws esception when getting a connection:
Caused by: javax.resource.ResourceException: Transaction is not active: tx=TransactionImpl:XidImpl[FormatId=257, GlobalId=ro-0029aits/47, BranchQual=, localId=47]
ISSUE: Why does rollback screw things up for the next run through the REQUIRES_NEW function?

The only way I could get above deletes to commit as I wanted (in batches) was if the loop above was in a javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType.NEVER function; This should not be necessary(I thought).
In addition, for unit testing, I wanted to rollback via context.setRollbackOnly(), and I could not get that to work ;

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4073660#4073660

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4073660