[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: java.lang.OutofMemoryException

aerostra do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 16 18:16:47 EDT 2007

"thomas.heute at jboss.com" wrote : PermGen Space OOM can happen if you redeploy an application several times. It shouldn't happen in a production environment.

Yep, I came across this problem when I deployed a couple of portlets several times. Managed to solve it by doing the following steps below. My setup is JBP 2.4.1, MySql v5, Java 1.5 on Win XP & Solaris 10 so this may be of relevance to other versions:

Assuming your portlets are already in the "server/default/deploy" directory then
Stop the server, clear out your "server/default/work/jboss.web/localhost" directory of your applications. I've also removed the entire "server/default/tmp" directory as well then restarted the server. It should then automatically deploy your portlets hopefully without problems.

My set up of the JAVA opts is:

JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
{rest of line omitted} which also works as quick fix - bear in mind that my server has enough RAM to do this.

I also have another development setup with the following java opts:
 -Xmx256m -Xms256m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
(adjust settings depending on the amount of memory you need)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4075026#4075026

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4075026