[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Re: Server Getting Shutdown

mark81 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 28 00:34:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been having a similar issue.  JBoss 4.04GA shuts down seemingly by itself about twice a month on our production 24/7 server.  It shuts down without regard to load on the server (we've had a couple times it shut down when there was no load at all).

I've been posting to the following (old) forum thread in response to other users who are having this issue of JBoss seemingly shutting itself down:
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=100361

I've found other references to this issue and users have reported using the -Xrs switch worked for them.  It didn't work for me, and I've posted my last forum message from the other thread below this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cannot seem to pinpoint what is causing JBoss to shut down!

-Mark

Unfortunately, JBoss shut itself down again today -- the -Xrs option is not helping my problem of JBoss shutting itself down.

Is this problem still happening for anyone?
Better yet, has anyone found a resolution?

A little more background:
- running 4.0.4GA
- running jdk 1.5_09-b03
- running CentOS 4.4
- using the jboss_init_redhat.sh script found in JBoss bin directory to start/stop server (we placed it in /etc/init.d and start/stop jboss with the following command: service jboss start).
- by default, jboss starts in runlevel 3 (which is what our server starts up in)

Like I said in the previous post, JBoss shuts down about once every two weeks (of otherwise continuous operation).

Our log files indicate a normal shutdown -- forceHalt: true etc etc, everything undeploys as if i called service jboss stop, and the shutdown is clean. Our server also shuts down when there is no load -- our load today was essentially nothing at all and the server shut down.

Am I doing something wrong with using the jboss_init_redhat.sh script? During development, I do sometimes start jboss from an SSH session, but on disconnect, jboss IS still running (and I thought it's like starting/stopping any other service, such as httpd, which is fine after doing so from an SSH session... ) (and a ps command yiels me '?' for the TTY for jboss's java process).

Thanks for any help, sorry to report the -Xrs option is NOT working for me...

Oh, and just to make sure it's clear, there's NO System.exit() calls in our code :-) (and the shutdowns happen when nothing is going on anyway)

-Mark

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4078573#4078573

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4078573