[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Which is better for scheduled batch jobs: Inside JBoss conta

jfrankman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 30 11:13:16 EDT 2007

I have a fairly complicated program that downloads files from a remote FTP website, decrypts the files, and processes the files and sends the processed files into an digital image repository.

My questions are:

Is it generally better to move batch/scheduled processes to run inside the JBoss container, or is it better to keep processes like this outside the JBoss container?

How much and what types of scheduled batch processes should be run inside JBoss?

The approach I am considering is to use a JMS Queue to trigger the batch process and then have a scheduled job send a message to the Queue every couple hours or so. Is this a common way of scheduling and triggering batch processes in JBoss?

More background on my questions:
On our test server I opted to configure and schedule everything to run outside JBoss as a cron job. It works, but getting the classpath correct and getting the Java call to work inside CRON makes me wonder if it is better to have this run inside the JBoss container.

My understanding is that applications servers are much more that just platforms for Web apps, but 99% of application development documentation for JBoss revolves around web apps. How much and what types of scheduled batch processes should be run inside JBoss?

If I do opt for JBoss, the approach I am considering is to use a JMS Queue to trigger the batch process and then have a scheduled job send a message to the Queue every couple hours or so. Is this a common way of scheduling and triggering batch processes in JBoss?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4079662#4079662

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4079662