[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Trouble accessing local EJB from webapp

mjremijan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Dec 4 11:06:27 EST 2007

It's been a while since I've worked in the EJB world (been doing a lot of just webapp development lately) so please bear with me.

I am using jboss-4.2.1.GA and java version "1.5.0_11"

I am working on a simple EJB project.  I have 1 local session bean an 1 entity bean which is managed by the Java Persistence API.  I pack this all up into an ear file and deploy it to jboss.  I can see in the JNDIList the ejb is deployed:

  | +- oak.oths.domain (class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext)
  |   |   +- AlumniEjb (class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext)
  |   |   |   +- local (proxy: $Proxy172 implements interface org.oak.oths.domain.alumni.AlumniLocal,interface org.jboss.ejb3.JBossProxy,interface javax.ejb.EJBLocalObject)

Now I have a webapp.  This webapp is deployed as a seperate war file.  Inside the webapp I do a JNDI lookup, find the object, but get a java.lang.ClassCastException when I try to typecast or PortableRemoteObject.narrow() it to the EJB's local interface, AlumniLocal.

  | // This causes a ClassCastException!
  | AlumniLocal local
  |   = (AlumniLocal)ctx.lookup("oak.oths.domain/AlumniEjb/local");

I can loop over the interfaces which the class implements and it does indeed implement the AdminLocal interface so my question is why am I getting this ClassCastException?  If the EJB is in an EAR file and the webapp is deployed as a seperate WAR file can the two not use Local interfaces?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4110238#4110238

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4110238