[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - help with this entity been updated implicitly

gsegura do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Dec 6 15:42:08 EST 2007

Hello everybody,
I have this use case: an item is selected from a list, the edit page for that item is shown, if the save action is invoked some validation is done inside that same method, only if everything is ok I call persist, otherwise the same edit page is redisplayed.

Everything goes fine except one thing: even if validation fails (so I don't call persist)  the entity is been updated, why? how? where?  I reproduce some code:

@Scope(ScopeType.CONVERSATION)
  | @Name("courseEditor")
  | @Restrict("#{identity.loggedIn and s:hasRole('Administrator')}")
  | public class CourseEditorAction {
  |
  | 	@Begin(nested=true)
  |     public void select(Course selectedCourse) {
  |         course = entityManager.merge(selectedCourse);
  |     }
  |
  | 	public void save() {
  |         if(course.getStartDate()!=null && course.getFinishDate()!=null &&
  |                 course.getStartDate().compareTo(course.getFinishDate())>=0) {
  |             facesMessages.addToControl("finishDate","must be posterior to start date") ;
  |             ok = false ;
  |         }
  |         else {
  |             sede = entityManager.merge(sede) ;
  |             if(course.getId()==null)
  | 				//my way to update parent collection of courses (only if course is new)
  |                 sede.getCourses().add(course) ;
  |             entityManager.persist(course);
  |             facesMessages.add("Course saved successfully");
  | 			//I only finish conversation in case the edition use case finish
  |             Conversation.instance().end() ;
  |             ok = true;
  |         }
  |     }
  |
  | 	@End
  |     public void cancel() {}
  |
  | 	public boolean isOk() {
  |         return ok ;
  |     }
  | }

<page view-id="/admin/courseEditor.xhtml">
  |         <navigation from-action="#{courseEditor.save}">
  |             <rule if="#{courseEditor.ok}">
  |                 <redirect view-id="/admin/sedeEditor.xhtml"/>
  |             </rule>
  |             <rule if="#{not courseEditor.ok}">
  |                 <redirect view-id="/admin/courseEditor.xhtml"/>
  |             </rule>
  |         </navigation>
  |         <navigation from-action="#{courseEditor.cancel}">
  |             <redirect view-id="/admin/sedeEditor.xhtml"/>
  |         </navigation>
  |
  |     </page>

if finish date value is before start date, the page is redisplayed, the message describing the incorrect input is shown, but at that moment the course already has been updated :S

I though maybe select method was been called every time the page is redisplayed and since there is a merge that was causing the update, but no:  select method is called (makes sense) only first time.
so the updating is invoked somewhere else...
any help is much appreciated

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4110994#4110994

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4110994