[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - How to get a child/reference entity to load when the parent

todd.nash@gmail.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Dec 14 16:58:46 EST 2007

I have created a user registration page following the example included with the seam booking example. The only difference is that my User entity has a reference to another entity called account. The user is mapped to an account.

My User class looks like this:
/**
  |  * User
  |  */
  | @Entity
  | @Table( name = "t_user", uniqueConstraints = @UniqueConstraint( columnNames = "username" ) )
  | public class User implements java.io.Serializable
  | {
  |     private int id;
  |     private Account account;
  |
  |     [...]
  |

  |     @Id
  |     @Column( name = "id", unique = true, nullable = false )
  |     @NotNull
  |     public int getId()
  |     {
  |         return this.id;
  |     }
  |
  |     public void setId( int id )
  |     {
  |         this.id = id;
  |     }
  |
  |     @ManyToOne( fetch = FetchType.LAZY )
  |     @JoinColumn( name = "account_id" )
  |     public Account getAccount()
  |     {
  |         return this.account;
  |     }
  |
  |     public void setAccount( Account account )
  |     {
  |         this.account = account;
  |     }
  |
  | [...]
  | }

My Registration class looks like this:

  | @Stateless
  | @Name("register")
  | public class RegisterAction implements Register
  | {
  |    @In
  |    private User user;
  |
  |    @PersistenceContext
  |    private EntityManager em;
  |
  |    @Logger
  |    private Log log;
  |
  |    public String register()
  |    {
  |       List existing = em.createQuery(
  |          "select username from User where username=#{user.username}")
  |          .getResultList();
  |
  |       if (existing.size()==0)
  |       {
  |          em.persist(user);
  |          log.info("Registered new user #{user.username}");
  |          return "/registered.xhtml";
  |       }
  |       else
  |       {
  |          FacesMessages.instance().add("User #{user.username} already exists");
  |          return null;
  |       }
  |    }
  |
  | }

Pretty straight forward. However when the JSF page is loaded and the user clicks on the register button after adding their information, I get a null pointer exception for Account because Seam instantiates the user component, and returns the resulting User entity bean instance to JSF after storing it in the Seam session context, but the Account component is never created.

I tried instantiating the Account class within my register class and setting the value on the User, but that resulted in a datasource exception when i persisted the user.

I have tried using the UserHome session bean, but the Account class is never added to the User class.

How do I go about instantiating and setting the Account on User?

I am missing something obvious here (could be because it is Friday and I am on my 70th hour). Any help would be appreciated.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4113095#4113095

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4113095