[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - WorkManager thread pooling

avzak do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Dec 24 10:14:19 EST 2007

Hi,
We are developing a resource adapter which uses threads in order to process incoming network data. These threads are obtained from the WorkManager instance which uses a BasicThreadPool instance as its thread pooling mechanism.
When we tried to configure the thread pool we noticed that its minimum pool size is always the same as its maximum size. As a result, if the maximum size is configured to, say 500, then its minimum size is also set to 500, so 500 threads will be created even if there are idle threads in the pool (because the pool prefers to first fill the pool up to its min size).
After threads were allocated and their keep alive time has expired, they are all removed from the pool, although you would expect a minimum size will be kept.
All of this results in a very inefficient idle threads management.
Is this issue a known bug? if so, when it is expected to be fixed? is it possible to configure the WorkManager to use other implementation of thread pool?

Regards,
Eli Avzak

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4115361#4115361

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4115361