[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - JBoss Portal vs its competitors

jimisola do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Feb 7 20:50:54 EST 2007

Hi,

I hope this topic will be accepted here as I believe many potential users are in the same situation as myself - what Portal should I use?

My question is simple: why I should pick JBoss Portal and not one of its competitors such as Liferay, uPortal, Unify etc?

Things we plan to use are:

(important)

Content Management - CMS
User Management
Discussion Forums
Calendar / Event Schedule
Article / News Management
Links / Directory
Download / Document Manager (DMS)
Image / Photo Gallery
Knowledgebase / FAQ
Contacts / Staff Directory
Mail (web-based)

(less important)

Newsletter Management
Messaging and Chat
Business Directory / Listings
Projects / Task Manager
Surveys / Polls

I've focused on JBoss Portal and Liferay and they both have their pros and cons. Liferay's UI seems a bit more intuitive with its drag-n-drop support etc, it does not require a specific Application Server (JBoss Portal does) and it seem to have better Alfresco support.

I found this comparison of the two:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/05/77788_19TCportals_1.html

To what extend is it still valid? There have been released after this was made.

I'm also interested in finding out more about the Alfresco support as it seems to differ between the two ("Liferay came up with Alfresco portlets and JBoss came up with the tie-up with Alfresco", see http://portlets.blogspot.com/2006/05/content-management-portals.html).

I read another blog post on JBoss Portal and Alfresco:

http://ecmarchitect.com/archives/2006/05/24/684

and made special notice to

anonymous wrote : What I was hoping for was that Alfresco would be configured as the replacement JCR repository for JBoss Portal and that there would be a set of useful portlets that exposed the Alfresco repository to portal users. At a bare minimum I would have expected an Alfresco search portlet and a trimmed down ?spaces? portlet.

What is your opinion on this matter (replacement of JCR repository)?

Regards,
Jimisola

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4012759#4012759

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4012759