[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Building Seam CVS with ant build

SmokingAPipe do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 9 19:22:50 EST 2007

Java 6 is noticably faster than earlier versions in general use.  I use it with NetBeans and it's nicer.  I think startup of JBoss is also faster.

There are problems running JBoss with Java 6!  The main problems that I have encountered are that JBoss unfortunately includes many JARs for packages that are now part of the Java 6 distribution.  Sometimes (not sure why) these JARs over-ride the built-in Java 6 classes.  As an example, I was building an app that uses JAXB to generate some XML.  I would test my class by itself, outside of JBoss (on the command line) and have it spit out some XML for me.  I would then run the same class within JBoss and noticed that the XML was being put together differently.  Within JBoss the order of elements was different.  I ended up having to specify the order using an XmlType declaration.  Anyway this would have caused serious problems because the XML output would be invalid if the order changed, and the change happened only when running in JBoss.  That was a real hair-puller for me, until I figured out what was happening.  I think this will come up mainly with XML because many XML packages have been moved into the Java 6 distro, and the same packages are present in JBoss.

My view is that JBoss should in the near future start requiring Java 6, and throw away all the JARs that are not needed within Java 6.  That may not be viable from a business point of view, so maybe one option would be to start a Java 6 binary distribution.

Anyway, it's something to be aware of and watch out for.  If you are testing XML stuff in Java 6 outside of JBoss it may behave differently inside of JBoss.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4013957#4013957

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4013957