[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - Xerces SAX Error in JBoss

bertnz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Feb 14 14:36:22 EST 2007

Hi everybody.

I am currently trying to upgrade an old app from JBoss 3.2.5 to the latest version in the hope of breathing some new life into it.

I have made a number of changes suggested by the upgrade guide (changing my Datasource config etc.), however when I deploy my app am am getting some errors related apparently to xerces.

I get this error if I try and deploy one web-app.

14:30:08,354 ERROR [Digester] Digester.getParser:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
        at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)

I get this error when I try and access the other web-app (which seems to deploy ok). I have checked the org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser class I am using and it definitely implements XMLReader).

org.jdom.JDOMException: Could not load default SAX parser: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser: SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser does not implement XMLReader

I also have an ear which seems to deploy ok.

I am using JBoss 4.0.5 and have recompiled the application against the xercesimpl.jar and xml-api.jar files found in JBoss?s lib/endorsed folder. There are no other versions of xerces in any of my ears or wars ? just that version. My initial research leads me to believe this is a class-loading issue and that maybe my default sax parser is incorrect?

Could it be that Java 1.5 (which i am using) loads another sax parser or maybe one of JBoss's subcomponents (Tomcat) has a different version? I have no idea how to continue.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for your time.
Robert Hughes

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4016559#4016559