[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Implementing data flow

estaub do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 15 17:01:21 EST 2007

Good idea - I was thinking similar things.  Being able to see data flow at a high level is very useful.

Currently, I don't believe the process definition can actually know what the flow is, because the handlers can access the variables at runtime without any declaration.  The exception is scripts, although even they can access process variables without declaration, through the ExecutionContext.

A complication is presented by events.  If a variable is used in an event action handler on entry or exit to/from a node, how should this be denoted?

This kind of UI work requires a really good eye, enough time to experiment, and strong implementation skills.  Process graphs are often cluttered already - adding another 2 or 3 dimensions to them (variable/read-write/event-type) will make things too cluttered unless done very cleverly.  For example, it may be desirable to show data flow in a display mode that hides the node rectangles, or at least reduces their alpha.

-Ed Staub

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4017251#4017251

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4017251