[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Is an application server the right tool?

ailes do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Feb 28 07:48:04 EST 2007

I'm new to the world of JBoss and application servers and I'm trying to determine whether this type of software is a good match for my needs.

I'm looking for an environment that can host user-defined services and provide common support functionality like control, logging, communications, persistence, etc. I know that JBoss provides this.

The question I don't have an answer for, however, is whether application servers are good tools for applications that are not web-based. The system I'm working on provides services to a large farm of machines. These services include job scheduling, machine communications and management, persistence of job results to a database (e.g. through Hibernate), etc.

This model seems quite a bit different that the typical JBoss usage scenarios I've seen thus far. The services in my system are often long-running and maintain state, for example, and typically run constantly in the background instead of on-demand in response to user requests.

So, is the application server concept appropriate in this case? Is there any good info available on the web that looks at the problem from this angle.

Thanks!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4023616#4023616

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4023616