[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Service-Oriented Architecture and Seam

nbhatia do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 3 14:44:34 EST 2007

I am a newbie to Seam and just getting started with it. First of all, I would like to commend Gavin for putting together a bold and compelling architecture that is indeed groundbreaking. The concepts around Seam contexts and use of stateful session beans to save state indeed yield a very simple and elegant design. Thanks Gavin!

Having said that, I have a few questions about Seam's support for Service-Oriented Architectures. Looking at the booking example, I see that views have direct access to action beans (such as HotelBookingAction) and entity beans (such as Hotel). Also, business logic is generally embedded in the action beans. So here are my questions:

1) Looking through the SOA lens, can the action beans be thought of as services? For example, would it be ok to think of HotelBookingAction as HotelBookingService?

2) From a layered architecture perspective, do you think of the action beans as presentation-tier or middle-tier? I ask this because action beans seem to have presentation logic, e.g. the actions return navigation outcomes. Where is the boundary between the two layers?

3) How would one implement a physically separate front-end (say using Swing) that would access the booking application via a stateless web service. I know the docs say that ?you get to architect your own application and decide what the layers are and how they work together?, but it would be nice to have a real example showing these patterns.

Once again, I am very impressed with the Seam framework. Answers to the above questions will make me feel even more comfortable.

Thanks.
Naresh

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3997681#3997681

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3997681