[jboss-user] [EJB/JBoss] - PortableRemoteObject.narrow() returns null

oops.ch do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jan 11 02:45:36 EST 2007

Hi there

I've got some problem with runing an EJB application over RMI/IIOP.

I went through the tutorial DukesBank from JBoss http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/getting_started/v5/html_single/ . After I successful could run the application, I tried to run it over RMI/IIOP. I thought, I just have to do change some properties. But it wasn't as easy as I expected.

  |     public static CustomerControllerHome getCustomerControllerHome()
  |             throws NamingException {
  |             InitialContext initial = new InitialContext();
  |
  |             String customerControllerEjbhome = "ebankCustomerController";
  |             Object objref = initial.lookup(customerControllerEjbhome);
  |
  |             Object obj = PortableRemoteObject.narrow(objref, CustomerControllerHome.class);
  |
  |             return (CustomerControllerHome) obj ;
  |         }

When I run this code, the call PortableRemoteObject.narrow() returns null. I don't know why. The Object obj is a CORBAObjectImpl Object and for me it seems that it contains all the necessary things.

I googled for this problem but I didn't find a resolution.

What I think is strange, when I debug the code, I see, that it uses the Sun classloader and not a JBoss classloader. Is this normal? Has anybody an idea, why the call PortableRemoteObject.narrow() returns null?

I'm using the following environment:
JDK: Sun JDK 1.5.0_09
JBoss: JBoss 4.0.5

Thanks for your help