[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: JCR CMS Repository on distant machine

sohil.shah@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 16 12:32:20 EST 2007

anonymous wrote :
  | I wondered if I would build the access to the repository features through the jboss portal api (the service used under the JCR access api provided by jboss portal), or directly as an independant service.

JBoss Portal CMS API is an abstraction layer on top of the JCR API. Advantages of using that API would be to decouple your application code from low level details involved with the JCR access.

This makes your applications portable even if you decide to swap JCR impl as well as hookin some other content repository later on.

Other advantages of using the PortalCMS API would be out-of-the-box integration of fine grained security on the CMS resources and JBPM based workflow integration.

If you build out an independent service on top of JCR impl yourself, chances are you may create a parallel API similar to what we have in the org.jboss.portal.cms package.

But, feel free to develop with whatever API fits best your requirement, but one recommendation I would make is to not expose your application level components (portlets, JSF managed beans etc) directly to JCR API, becuase that will lock you into JCR

anonymous wrote :
  | may be you can help on the second part of it : building the layer between jboss portal upper api, and alfresco repository service.

jboss portal upper api itself is the high level API that should directly deal with any JCR/repository related API be it Alfresco or JackRabbit.

Currently we provide JackRabbit integration, and we will provide the Alfresco based implementation soon.

anonymous wrote :
  | by the way : do you focus on the Alfresco 1.4 version, or the Alfresco WCM Preview version ?

At this time the goal is to evaluate just the Alfresco JCR Impl with regards to performance, clustering, fail over etc.

WCM Preview is a high level end user tool that probably uses the Alfresco API.

You can always bundle the WCM tool and for application level access either user the JBoss Portal CMS API (once Alfresco JCR integration is done)

Thanks
Sohil

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4002358#4002358

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4002358