[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Best JVM memory size?

flarosa do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jan 22 15:45:03 EST 2007

Hi -

I'm looking for some advice as to how I should set the JVM memory size parameters (-Xmx and -Xms) when starting JBoss.

My JBoss server is running on a SUSE Linux installation and is basically the only thing running on the box, other than the OS and a few network services.

Is it better to configure the JVM such that it never uses more than the amount of physical memory I have in the machine? Or should I give it lots and lots of memory and let Linux worry about paging it through its virtual memory system?

I run several unrelated web applications on the server, each of which uses EJBs, servlets, tag libraries, and database connections. I've never run into any errors due to resource constraints, but I'm flying a bit blind, without a real understanding of what walls I'll eventually hit if I keep deploying more applications or if traffic on existing ones increases.

Thanks,
Frank

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4004988#4004988

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4004988