[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: jbpm engine as a jar

monkmanusa do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 26 11:11:40 EST 2007

Hi,
I am relatively new (been reading like mad for the past two weeks - don't know if my brain can take any more), and am also a little confused by this post.
Let me start by explaining where I am at:
I have successfully downloaded and installed the starter kit.
I have successfully made the jBPM app talk to MSSQL - the GPD and webapp and jBPM server all now deploy, instanciate and signal processes on/from this DB using the relevant persistance.

The application that we are trying to integrate the jBPM product into has its own proprietary application server (java based) and I am now trying to instanciate and signal processes from my own applications server - i.e. I need my app server to act as the "client" to the jBPM server and processes running within that server....

I have moved all the relevant jars based upon the user guide and have amended our servers startup routine to amend the classpath to incorporate all the needed jBPM jars etc (as well as the config xml etc).
I can now create classes in our application (used by our app server) that utilize the classes and methods defined in the jBPM package. and I can successfully compile those classes etc.
The problem comes when I try to run the programs - how does my application server "communicate" with the running jBPM server (which is launched using the start.bat file in the /server folder in the start kit)? To retrieve the relevant process, instanciate a process and signal a "running" process?
i have read just about everything I can on the wiki, forum, user guides, documentation etc - but cannot seem to get this clear in my head. Are there any pointers to information about how to do this - or am I going about this the wrong way?
The reason I ask that is that the last post seems to say that I do not have to "run" the jBPM server independently if I have included the relevant jar file(s) etc in my app server. Am I reading that correctly? If so I am not sure I completely understand how the jBPM "engine" (i.e. the server?) manages each "running" process etc if the engine itself is not "running" and waiting for instanciation and signal requests.

As I say I have read the user guide and virtually everything else out there to try and understand this - but most of the information I read goes a little beyond my technical knowledge - so if it is definedin the user guide - then I am not understanding it - any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated (or a pointer to something that could explain this)?
Many thanks,
monkmanusa

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4006883#4006883

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4006883