[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Struts Portlet

r_mun do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 30 06:43:24 EST 2007

Hi,

In our current project we use JBoss portal. We desperately try to make it more user-friendly. And for this reason we use Ajax-updated portlets.

Unfortunately JBoss hasn't got that nice Model-View-Controller Architecture we are used to. So to simulate that we use  containers and struts handler actions. I know that's not the best sollution since we have to maintain 2 frameworks - 1) JBoss Portal's doView() methods and 2) Struts Actions. However it works ...

What would you suggest as a substitution for Struts?
Has JBoss Portal got some kind of controller which can be called for a separate portlet?

The following is a list of issues that made us use such a tricky sollution
 - Ajax Update of a separate portlet (delete row in a list, edit row that is follow the edit form and return, error handling);
 - Ajax Update of related portlets (for example click search button in one portlet and display results in the other);
 - client-side validation (stuts-validation analogue);
 - server-side validation (stuts-validation analogue);

I would be very thankful if someone would have suggest the framework for solving this list of tasks.

We have estimated JSF in our company, and I know people who also try to use it. And in both cases they say that Strust is much simplier, easier to use and more reliable than JSF, especially for large projects.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Roman

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4008239#4008239