[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - How to use si:selectItems with an object that has a String i

lawrieg do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 31 07:45:25 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm a Seam newbie and I'm trying to get my head around si:selectItems and the Seam application framework.

My CustomerType object has a String id so when I initially tried to use si:selectItems without creating and specifying a converter I got an exception:

<h:selectOneMenu value="#{ customerHome.instance.customerType}" id="customerType">
  |   <si:selectItems value="#{customerTypes.resultList}" var="customerType" label="#{customerType.name}" noSelectionLabel="Please Select..." />
  | </h:selectOneMenu>
javax.faces.convert.ConverterException: javax.faces.application.FacesMessage at 154fe9c com.mycomp.myapp.CustomerType
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.selectitems.ui.BasicEntityConverter.getIdAsString(BasicEntityConverter.java:61)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.selectitems.jsf.EntityConverter.convertToString(EntityConverter.java:36)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.selectitems.jsf.SelectItemsConverter.getAsString(SelectItemsConverter.java:131)
  | 	at org.apache.myfaces.shared_impl.renderkit.RendererUtils.getConvertedStringValue(RendererUtils.java:544)
  |
  | Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.selectitems.ui.BasicEntityConverter.getIdAsString(BasicEntityConverter.java:59)
  | 	... 43 more

So I then created a CustomerTypeSelectItemsConverter which extends SelectItemsConverter:

@Name("customerTypeSelectItemsConverter")
  | public class CustomerTypeSelectItemsConverter extends org.jboss.seam.selectitems.jsf.SelectItemsConverter {
  |
  |     @Override
  |     protected Object convertToObject(FacesContext arg0, UIComponent arg1, String arg2)
  |             throws ConverterException {
  |     	return arg2;
  |     }
  |
  |     @Override
  |     protected String convertToString(FacesContext arg0, UIComponent arg1, Object arg2)
  |             throws ConverterException {
  |     	return ((CustomerType)arg2).getId();
  |     }
  |
  | }
and changed my facelets code:

<h:selectOneMenu value="#{customerHome.instance.customerType}"  converter="#{customerTypeSelectItemsConverter}" id="customerType">
  |    <si:selectItems value="#{customerTypes.resultList}" var="customerType" label="#{customerType.name}" noSelectionLabel="Please Select..." />
  | </h:selectOneMenu>

This gets my drop down list displaying correctly but gives me a validation error "value is not valid" when I try to save. I presume this means that I should be returning a CustomerType object (rather than the CustomerType object's id) from CustomerTypeSelectItemsConverter's convertToObject() method?

Am I on the right lines now?

If so, what is the correct way for me to obtain the CustomerType object? Should I somehow be getting the List from the Seam Application Framework EntityQuery object ("customerTypes") that was used to populate the si:selectItems tag and then iterating the List to find find the CustomerType with the specified id? Or is there a better way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't find any examples which match my problem and I'm struggling to find any answers...

Thanks,

Lawrie

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4008752#4008752

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4008752