[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - MC/Seam integration and unification

bill.burke@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 31 13:53:55 EST 2007

I've been looking at Seam a little bit to integrate the new Embedded JBoss stuff and had some thoughts about further unifying Seam with the rest of the JBoss 5 architecture.

1) Create a Seam deployer.  Hopefully, for JBoss AS Seam deployments, you can avoid extra bootstrap configuration and simplify things for users.  Also, hopefully, we can have a unified bootstrap process in which Embedded JBoss bootstraps Seam in non-JBoss-AS environments.  This would be something easy to do and we could see where it takes us.

2) unified configuration.  Instead of your own XML schema, use a Bean bean based configuration to get rid of the proliferation of configuration file formats.

3) I've been looking at the Seam component model and wondering if there should be some unification with MC and Seam.  In looking at your component model "components.xml" I see that components need:

* rich IoC (lists, maps, references to other components, etc...)  all that the MC provides

* dependency management (component doesn't get deployed unless its dependencies are resolved).  Again something that MC does as well.

* The ability to reference other components, beans, services and have those dependencies resolved before instantiation/starting

What I don't see in MC is:
* Context aware scopes.  Ability to deploy a bean (seam component) and only have it instantiated as part of a scope. We're discussing this here:

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=100349

* class dependencies (don't deploy a component unless its class is available.  We're discussing this here:

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=100385

* precedence levels.  We're discussing this here:

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=100384

I don't know what the best unification of MC/Seam should be, but I do know that Seam needs to leverage the MC/Kernel more so that you don't have to do *everything* and can delegate things to other JBoss projects.  Many other projects (ESB, JBPM) need similar features for their domains.  The end goal would be that all JEMS products/projects are unified in how they are configured, bootstrapped, and deployed so that users have a consistent way of doing things across JBoss projects.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4008932#4008932

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4008932