[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Nested conversations - potential bug in Manager.beginNes

wschwendt do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 5 08:40:45 EDT 2007

"hkarapuu" wrote : anonymous wrote : IllegalStateException should be thrown if @Begin(nested=true) is encountered and there is no long-running conversation active.

  | I think that might cause some difficulties with reuse and recursive use.
  |
  | I.e. In crud application i can start creation of a new object from a master list (=starting new conversation), OR from within the creation of another object (=starting nested conversation). In both cases the same @Begin method would be called, and the callee should not concern itself who called it or why.

hkarapuu,  do I understand you correctly that you want the following behavior?   (The following is the behavior I'd prefer to see if I could choose...)

When @Begin(nested=true) is encountered and there is already a long-running conversation active, a new nested conversation (which is also long-running) gets created.

When @Begin(nested=true) is encountered and there is NO long-running conversation active,  a nested conversation does NOT get created. Instead, the temporary conversation being active gets promoted to a long-running conversation.  So we get the same behavior in this case as would happen if @Begin (without nested=true) was encountered.

The thing quoted above with the IllegalStateException is not my proposal. Rather, it is my interpretation based on the code of
org.jboss.seam.core.Manager.beginNestedConversation() what the intented behavior probably is.

If I could vote for a behavior, I wouldn't choose the one with the IllegalStateException either.  I'd choose the one described in this post.

But clearly,  the present behavior where a nested (but temporary instead of long-running) conversation gets created when @Begin(nested=true) gets encountered and there is no long-running conversation active, looks not like intended to me.

anonymous wrote :
  | Disclaimer; i'm only evaluating Seam so i might have understood things wrong.

Me too.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4060784#4060784

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4060784