[jboss-user] [EJB/JBoss] - IIOP marshalling errors

jstelzer do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 6 13:04:24 EDT 2007

Hello, this is probably a self inflicted problem as I'm very new to corba. But, there doesn't seem to be many good places to look for examples that apply to what I'm doing.

Currently I'm working on getting an older application of ours to talk to our newer ejb servers via corba. We're using java 1.5 on the server side with jboss 4.0.5GA. On the client side, I'm using omniorb 4.1.0. At this point I've puzzled out how to get ejb3 beans registered with jacorb in jboss. So, at this point I can look up the remote interface to an ejb3 bean in the orb.

I can connect to the jboss server and lookup the remote name service on the C++ side.

I can lookup objects and create requests. However, I believe I'm either putting the request together wrong or need to declare things slightly differently.

The bean I'm talking to is a glorified hello world bean. It takes a string as an argument and returns a different string. The method never gets invoked. It looks like things are dying during the corba marshalling of input. All I see in the jboss log is:

  | 12:12:40,052 ERROR  sys : [STDERR] org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: unknown value tag: 0x6 (offset=0x88)  vmcid: 0x0  minor code: 0  completed: No
  | 12:12:40,052 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jacorb.orb.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:2446)
  | 12:12:40,053 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jboss.iiop.rmi.marshal.CDRStream$StringReader.read(CDRStream.java:578)
  | 12:12:40,053 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jboss.iiop.rmi.marshal.strategy.SkeletonStrategy.readParams(SkeletonStrategy.java:128)
  | 12:12:40,053 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jboss.ejb3.iiop.BeanCorbaServant._invoke(BeanCorbaServant.java:193)
  | 12:12:40,054 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.invokeOperation(RequestProcessor.java:297)
  | 12:12:40,054 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:596)
  | 12:12:40,054 ERROR  sys : [STDERR]      at org.jacorb.poa.RequestProcessor.run(RequestProcessor.java:739)
  | 12:12:40,054 INFO   sys : [controller] rid: 4 opname: echoString invocation: system exception was thrown (org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: unknown value tag: 0x6 (offset=0x88)  vmcid: 0x0  minor code: 0  completed: No)

Assuming I've looked up the right object, does this seem like a reasonable way to call a remote method as I've described on the C++ side? Appologies if this comes through mangled.

  |   CORBA::String_var arg = (const char*)"Echo!";
  |   CORBA::Request_var req = obj->_request("echoString");
  |   req->add_in_arg() <<= arg;
  |   req->set_return_type(CORBA::_tc_wstring);
  |
  |   req->invoke();
  |
  |   if( req->env()->exception() ) {
  |        CORBA::Exception *excP = req->env()->exception();
  |       cout << "echo_diiclt: An exception was thrown! " << excP->_name()  << endl;
  |       return;
  |   }
  |
  |   const char* ret;
  |   req->return_value() >>= ret;
  |   cout << "I said, \"" << (char*)arg << "\"." << endl
  |       << "The Echo object replied, \"" << ret <<"\"." << endl;

Thanks for your time.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4061399#4061399

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4061399