[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Asynchronous Problem

zerok do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jul 16 17:10:07 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm using threads inside a stateless bean and I cannot persist anything without having that annoying message that states I can only use transaction manager inside a transactional context.
I've tried to make a busy-wait on my stateless bean so I can assure my bean will be alive until the very moment my thread needs the entityManager but when the execution reaches the entityManeger.merge( object ) an exception is risen.
The story:

I have a jboss-4.0.5.GA with an upgrade on my original Javassist. Now I have javassist-3.4 due to issues with threads.
My application needs to perform a fork in execution flow split in three parts. Both of them are created as threads and are observed in normal-fashion-way observer pattern, where the Stateless Bean is the observer.
I have a hunch that my bean life-cycle ends before my first thread finishes, so the entityManager looses it transactional context.
Can anybody point a blueprint for creating a structure to support such a business demand?

Here some parts of my code so you can place yourself. This code comes with only one thread. The original one has three, all like this one.

@TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.CONTAINER)
public @Stateless(name = "TempoRealRN") class TempoRealRNBean extends IntegratorCommonBehavior implements TempoRealRN, Observer {

	@EJB(beanName = "GenericoDAO")
	GenericoDAO genericoDAO;

	@PersistenceContext private EntityManager entityManager;

	private static final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(TempoRealRNBean.class);

public void processar(CommonController controladorComum) throws IntegratorException {

		super.setEntityManager(this.entityManager);

                tCorFrente = new ThreadCorFrente(controladorComum,  this, log, dto, nomeThreadFrente, grupoFrente);
                tCorFrente.addObserver(this);
                tCorFrente.start();
}// ends of: public void processar(...) ....

/*
* receives notification from thread state change and executes the proper action to acomplish bussiness rule goals.
*
*/
public void update(Object o) {

   //perform some state tests

   //then try to persist.
   //at this point an exception is risen
   this.entityManager.merge( object );
}

}//ends public void update(Object o)

}//ends class

The exception risen is:
17:01:47,480 ERROR [STDERR] Caused by: javax.persistence.TransactionRequiredException: EntityManager must be access within a transaction
17:01:47,480 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.jboss.ejb3.entity.ManagedEntityManagerFactory.verifyInTx(ManagedEntityManagerFactory.java:150)
17:01:47,480 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.jboss.ejb3.entity.TransactionScopedEntityManager.merge(TransactionScopedEntityManager.java:180)
17:01:47,480 ERROR [STDERR] 	at wm.integrator.negocio.temporeal.impl.TempoRealRNBean.persistirFrente(TempoRealRNBean.java:485)

It would be great if some good soul could enlight me regarding on how to use the proper pattern for observing threads and how I can make this persistence work.
Thank you all just for being patient enough to read this extensive post.
I apologize myself for any English grammar misuse or misspell as English is not my 1st language. I'm from Brazil.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4064742#4064742

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4064742