[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - RMI per call overhead?

caultonpos do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 26 21:10:12 EDT 2007

I tested a Stateless Session Bean using EJB 3.0, JBoss 4.2.0, Java 1.6.  The server is RedHat linux and the bean has a method which does nothing but return an Integer.

While connected to the internet I can ftp to the remote server at a rate of around 120KB/s so I have a reasonable connection.

However using RMI over HTTP (pure RMI did not make it faster) I get a consistent time of around 500ms to execute that single method call - returning that one integer.

It appears to be the method overhead - returning several large objects is only 100ms slower.

Running that same method with the server on the same machine results in an overhead of 15ms per execution to return that integer.

Is there something specifically that I should be caching to reduce the per call overhead?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4068062#4068062

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4068062