[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: seam-gen: What is it good for?

awhitford do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jun 6 14:25:39 EDT 2007

I think you have raised a good question...

I personally don't use it beyond getting an initial baseline.  I have found that even after the code generation, I need to hunt around and make several tweaks (disabling schema validation, changing the naming strategy -- some of this is related to Oracle).  Also, if you augment the an Entity bean, and then run generate-entities again, you will lose your change.  As a result, I don't feel it is meant to be used throughout the development cycle...

Of course, I think it should be easier to run it repeatedly.  I have asked for a way to say, "generate-entities <table_name>", so that you could just add the one entity and CRUD.

I also think you should be able to supply your own Entity bean, and just let seam-gen create the CRUD.  This would skip the reverse engineering -- there are several issues that I have with the reverse engineering (lack of enum support, constraints, etc.).

I am also a Maven fan, so I will take the ant oriented project and migrate it to a maven oriented project...  I could see seam-gen evolve into a maven plugin.  Imagine:c:\workspace\project\> mvn seam-gen:generate-crud <entity_class_name>

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4051864#4051864

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4051864