[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Do file upload component support jpeg and png only?

nhpvti do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 14 17:22:38 EDT 2007

"petemuir" wrote : in fact its because Java2D doesn't support writing to a gif, probably because of licensing issues

It was my first suspicion...

Good news is that it is nevertheless possible and even animated:

"shakenbrain" wrote :
  | You'd have to update this to allow for "gif" format types, but that assumes that ImageIO supports writing GIFS.  Based on "http://www.gif4j.com/java-gif4j-pro-gif-image-encode-save.htm" you'll need an extra library.

"petemuir" wrote : png is a superior format to gif

The same said our web design pro. But he said also that older web browsers may have trouble with PNG format. Mail clients consuming HTML emails is another case. I'll ask him to post a question in according forum(s)

Thank you both for your prompt and professional assistance
:-)

More critical is requirement to have animated images.
PNG does not support this.
Hopefully one of animation extensions (MNG or APNG or  ANG or ... ) somtime will be widely adopted

http://www.xs4all.nl/~collin/png-eng.html

anonymous wrote :
  |     * A new controversy has arissen: Unisys now wants to charge every website that uses GIFs that were made with suspect software (i.e. software that has no Unisys license for LZW compression) 5000 US Dollar.
  |     * The PNG group has started developing an animation format to help replace animated GIFs. This format is called MNG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNG

anonymous wrote : PNG gained some additional popularity in August 1999, after Unisys terminated its royalty-free patent licenses to developers of free software and non-commercial software.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4054548#4054548

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4054548