[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Seam performance concerns

liudan2005 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jun 22 20:44:44 EDT 2007

We did a performance test on Seam using Load Runner. The result is really disappointing. Compare with our old system(Struts based), seam is about 10 times slower. Here is the result:

Hardware: Xeon 5130 * 2 + Intel S5000 SAS + 4G 667 FBM + 15K 73G SAS RAID 10

New seam based version (using ejb3):
Environment: Seam 1.2.1 + ajax4jsf 1.1 + Myfaces 1.1.3 +
                    Fedora Core 6 + Oracle 10g
Test Result: 40 Transactions per second, 280 Hits per second

Old Struts based version:
Environment: Struts + Hibernate  +
                    Fedora Core 6 + Oracle 10g
Test Result: 420 Transactions per second, 2940 Hits per second

Our system has about 150 entity beans, 100 ejbs and involves a lot of complicated logics. When our app was small, I didn't see that much difference in performance. but with time and our app becomes large, the test result is really surprising.

It could be that our new app is poorly written that makes it slow. having looked at jprofile result, I didn't see any bottleneck in our app.  I still can't make a conclusion at this stage.

Is there an article talking about how to improve seam performance? In Yuan's Seam book, it mentioned a few ways to improve performance like reduce logging, server-side states saving... I've tried all of them but still can't get much performance gain.

We are in the stage of trying to improve performance as much as we can before deliver our product to our customers. Any advice would be helpful to us. Thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4057071#4057071

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4057071