[jboss-user] [O'Reilly JBoss 3.0/4.0 Workbook] - What's the difference between EntityManager, PersistenceCont

mmcelarn do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jun 25 19:43:16 EDT 2007

Can someone please tell me the difference between these in plain english? I cannot find a clear distinction between them, dispite having reading that chapter several times.

Is an EntityManager a PersistenceContext?

"A persistence unit maps a fixed set of classes to a relational database."
This is a quote from the Enterprise Javabeans 3.0 book.

So what's the difference between a PersistenceUnit and a PersistenceContext?

I'm particularly interesting in learning when I would use different configurations of these and when to use a particular configuration For example, would I have one EntityManager with two PersistenceContexts because I need to manage my entity objects across two databases?

Thanks for any help, Michael.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4057525#4057525

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4057525