[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Layering / overloading resources approach

pete.muir@jboss.org do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jun 26 06:06:38 EDT 2007

"utiba_davidr" wrote :   I originally raised this issue in another thread that seems to have been overlooked, probably not the best place to raise it. So I have decided to raise my query again, hopefully not angering anyone in the process.

Yes, new threads are always best for a new topic, otherwise I (at least) get confused about what info relates to what ;)

anonymous wrote : Problem: How to layer "Beans", "XHTML components" and "configuration".

  | Solution: Beans. This is quite easy, and Seam has already provided functionality for this using the @Install annotation. I simply need to annotate the beans at the framework layer with an @Install precedence lower than the "product", and the same with the "product" lower than the "site".

Yes.

anonymous wrote : Solved: Configuration: property files - using Seam's internationalization approach I could layer property files as well as provide internationalization support. Is this the correct approach?

I8ln - I would extend the resourceBundle component, and provide a lookup along the lines of check messages_en.site.properties, check messages_en.product.properties etc.

anonymous wrote : Unsolved: XML configuration
  |   Not sure what the solution would be? It seems that multiple pages.xml files can be loaded - but is overriding allowed within pages.xml files?

Configuration - slightly harder (components.xml is built in deeper) - but as long as its simple using a properties file, with a filter in your ant script (as the seam-gen'd apps do for some properties) should work - then you just need a properties file per site.

As for pages.xml, you can override - but only in that a page defintion for /foo/bar.xhtml overrides a definition for /foo/* -  so not so easy.  Again, ant filtering might be best.  Or look at overriding the Pages component as that is what parses and manages the pages.xml files.

anonymous wrote : Unsolved: XHTML
  | I am still as yet a little unclear as to what the best approach to take is, I can only assume (based on the presence of the @Install annotation) that others have faced the same problem. I am also interested in how you can load resources from JAR files - for the XHTML files as well as standard resources.. Weblets seems a little bit windy to me in this regard.

resource loading - take a look at how we do it for s:selectDate.

You could consider using ui:include templating with el specifying which file to load (and some sort of check to see if a more specific file exists or not), or better would be overload the Facelets resource resolver.

I would ask this on the facelets mailing list as well - they are very helpful, and some of them will have done something like this :)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4057625#4057625

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4057625