[jboss-user] [Security & JAAS/JBoss] - EJB Security Question

apwalker do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 1 02:40:18 EST 2007

I migrating some apps from weblogic and it appear that weblogic takes a different approach to EJB security in that if you don't specify a method-permission element in the ejb-jar.xml then it defaults to allows unchecked access to those methods where as jboss you have to explicitly marked them as unchecked. This is painful if I have to add every method individually to as unchecked if I only want to restrict access to one method.

I can add the following:

  |    <method-permission>
  |       <unchecked/>
  |       <method >
  |          <ejb-name>MyEJB</ejb-name>
  |          <method-intf>Remote</method-intf>
  |          <method-name>*</method-name>
  |       </method>
  |    </method-permission>

To allow unrestricted access to all methods but what is the behavior if I do the following:

  |    <method-permission>
  |       <unchecked/>
  |       <method >
  |          <ejb-name>MyEJB</ejb-name>
  |          <method-intf>Remote</method-intf>
  |          <method-name>*</method-name>
  |       </method>
  |    </method-permission>
  |    <method-permission>
  |       <role-name>valid-user</role-name>
  |       <method >
  |          <ejb-name>MyEJB</ejb-name>
  |          <method-intf>Remote</method-intf>
  |          <method-name>secureMethod</method-name>
  |       </method>
  |    </method-permission>

Does this restrict access to users with a "valid-user" role or does the unchecked with the wildcard allow anyone to access the secureMethod?

I will implement a testcase to findout and post my findings but am interested to find out what the semantic behavior is supposed to be.

Oh if you want I can post this in the EJB forum if you think that's a more relevant  location for this post.

cheers,

Aaron

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4024106#4024106

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4024106