[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Excel support in Seam: any interest?

fhh do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 2 09:25:01 EST 2007

Just to clarify: Jasper is fine for reporting. That's it. You define the design of a report and then the numbers and some formating is converted to Excel.

But in my company (and I guess everywhere else, too) people do not want simple preformated reports. They want to be able to work with the data, analyze, move columns around. This is not really possible in Jasper.

I think there are at least three huge advantages in having that taglib:

1.) Currently we use odbc datasources in Excel documents a lot. But this means that we pass database passwords around which is not really nice. And there is no really flexible way to specify filters on queries within excel documents.

2.) We are deling with the 65000 Row limit every day - even less for Pivot tables.  If Excel is withdrawing data directly we usually have to get them at the lowest level so they can be aggregated by Excel pivot.

If I had a taglib we could just ask the user what aggregation he wants and then he would download a file with just the data he needs.

3.) If the templating thing would work then I could offload the design and creation of reports to the controllers themselves. They would just send me a version of there Excel file exactly as they would like to see it and tell me which data they want to be copied in there. No time wasted on "beautifying" things.

@mjek2: If there is anything I can contribute I would be glad to do so. I have some expreience with JExcelApi. Have you some code to share?

Regards

Felix

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4024647#4024647